Thursday, January 14, 2010

Leaving for Peru


Planning a trip out of the country has been one of the more difficult things I have done during my time as director of Ambridge Youth Ignite. There are so many details that have to be made, its a very overwhelming process.

This past weekend I spent it alone with Champ, one of our boys as Shea was out of town with DK (short for Donkey Kong) our littlest, I like the idea of nicknaming the boys for blog purposes (thanks Hols!). Anyway, Champ is struggling with transition recently and really really hates getting into the shower. So I waited all weekend to finally give him a shower. He fought me, screamed, said "no shower" repeatedly and "no clean". As much fun as this sounds it really takes the life out of you. But as soon as he hit the water, he was fine and smiling. He actually had a blast and stayed in until the water got way too cold for him.

The reason why I bring this up is because I had a moment of epiphany when I finally got Champ into the shower and saw how he loved it. The whole shower experience for Champ is how I am hoping Peru will be for me. I have felt like Champ, I want to stay comfortable here in the US, be here with my family and keep my schedule the same. But I know God has not called me to a comfortable life and he has made everything happen for us to go, so I have to go. Just like Champ knows at some point he is going to have to submit to the shower. My hope is like Champ that a huge smile will come across my face, when we reach Peru, as we are teaching the youth about sports and arts and how God is glorified in both. I am praying that our team brings glory to God through the trip and we have as much fun as Champ did once the water hit his face.

1 comment:

sandy said...

That is a beautiful story! I've got a lot to learn from Champ!